Life insurance is a smart investment that provides coverage for final expenses, lost income, and debt. Death benefit payouts can even be used to provide surviving loved ones with an inheritance. But not all life insurance is created equal, so it’s important to select a company that offers the right types of coverage with affordable premiums. Find out more in this Ethos Life Insurance review and discover the benefits of this company.
History of Ethos Life Insurance
Since 2016, Ethos Life has offered customers convenient life insurance policies. The digital application takes place fully online, and most customers complete it in 10 minutes. The company’s mission is to provide a fast and easy experience obtaining life insurance while maintaining high quality and expectations via a transparent process.
Policies are provided by third-party issuers. These companies are trusted and respected in the life insurance industry and include big names such as Ameritas Life Insurance Corp, TruStage, and Legal & General America.
Ethos Life Insurance Policy Types
Ethos offers two types of life insurance—whole life and term life insurance policies. But what is the difference, and which one is right for you?
Term Life Insurance
Term life insurance policies are taken out for a set period of time, and then the coverage expires. Ethos offers term life insurance policies to applicants aged 20 to 65. Coverage amounts begin at $20,000 and extend to $2 million policies. Term lengths range in length from 10 to 30 years.
Term life insurance is best for people who want to provide replacement income for their loved ones who rely on them or to have funds to cover a mortgage, education expenses, or debts. Term life insurance coverage is generally more affordable, with lower monthly premiums.
Whole Life Insurance
Unlike term policies that expire after a certain number of years, whole life insurance can last for the policyholder’s entire lifetime—as long as they stay current on their premium payments. Another difference from term life is whole life insurance policies can accrue a cash value. This type of policy is great for seniors who want to invest in long-term benefits.
Applicants aged 66 through 85 are eligible for a whole life insurance policy with guaranteed issue, regardless of medical history. As part of the application process, customers must answer questions about their health to help determine the policy rate. Keep in mind that premium rates are higher with a whole life policy, with the average cost ranging from 5 to 15 times more than a term policy with the same benefit. Policy benefit amounts range from $1,000 to $30,000 of coverage.
Cost of Life Insurance
Life insurance rates vary widely by applicant. Several factors that affect the rate include age, gender, smoking, current health, and family health history. Applicants should consider getting quotes from several reputable life insurance companies to compare rates before making an informed decision.
The Ethos website provides an example of a policy premium rate, stating a healthy, non-smoking female at 20 years of age can get a $100,000 10-year term policy starting at as little as $7 per month.
Pros and Cons of Ethos Life Insurance
Here are some of the company’s biggest highlights.
- No medical exam required: One of the benefits of Ethos Life is many applicants qualify for coverage without needing to complete a medical exam. Instead, the company asks various health questions and evaluates data from the potential customer’s personal and family medical history, prescription medications, and additional data such as driving history to determine eligibility and premium rates.
- Immediate coverage: The lack of requirement for blood tests and medical exams drastically speeds up the process, with most customers able to get coverage within the same day.
- Affordable rates: Ethos Life allows customers to customize their life insurance policies to get a policy with the right kind of coverage and rates that fit any budget.
- Optional agent assistance: All customers have the option to speak with a knowledgeable agent for assistance in finding the best coverage for their needs. However, this help is optional. Customers who prefer to work through the application on their own can obtain a policy completely online.
- Money-back guarantee: The application is free, non-binding, and has zero impact on credit scores. Customers who decide to purchase a policy have a 30-day free look period during which they can get a full refund if the policy is deemed unsatisfactory for any reason and the customer cancels within this time frame. No cancellation fees or penalties apply during the 30-day period.
- Good standing with the BBB: Ethos has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau
- Customer reviews: A Trustpilot rating of 4.8/5 stars and a Google average customer rating of 4.7/5 stars.
- Easy online application process: Simply fill out an online application and wait to hear back from a representative. Most of the time, the underwriting process happens quickly, and you can expect to hear from someone in a matter of days. Other times, it could take a few weeks.
- Term life insurance policies are unavailable in New York state
- Customers must email customer support at email@example.com to change beneficiaries
How Much Life Insurance Is Necessary
Many customers have questions about how much coverage is the right amount. Ethos Life recommends several ways to come up with the appropriate figure. The simplest estimate is for a customer to multiply their annual income by 10.
A more in-depth and accurate figure is reached by adding up all debts and other long-term financial obligations (one example is college tuition for children) and subtracting assets.
Anyone who requires more guidance can use an online calculator or talk to an insurance agent to get an estimate of their life insurance needs.
Final Thoughts Regarding Ethos Life Insurance
Ethos is a trusted life insurance company that works with third-party insurers with high financial strength ratings. This company has good reviews and an overall high level of customer satisfaction, making it a great option for those seeking fast and affordable coverage options.
You might also be interested in: 6 Reasons Why Whole Life Insurance Is A Smart Investment For Your Family’s Future